Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Art Heals: Soft Rain

It has been raining since yesterday and will continue to do so intermittently throughout the weekend to come.  Pre self-quarantine, I never liked a rainy morning. Walking to work was a wet mess. Taking public transportation guaranteed close proximity to soggy coats, dripping umbrellas and drenched seats.  And in those days when I used to drive to work, exasperated drivers cut me off as I attempted to exit the highway, spraying my car with a sodden mass of mud and ire. 
Frankly, now that I’m mostly housebound, I still don’t like it much, never mind about April showers bringing May flowers.  I need sunlight in my life.  Covid-clouds are ever-present, no matter the weather, so for me the addition of rain clouds is a drizzle too far. 
But artists, poets, songwriters come to my rescue every time.  With their fulgent imaginations they make a metaphor from a downpour. Hence the transformative artist statement by Susanne Slavick on her art piece, made from iron oxide, acrylic and glue on paper, Soft Rain Seeps:  "Soft Rain Seeps takes its title from the last line of Mahmoud Darwish’s poem “And We Have Countries.”  The transparent drops water the “dry heart” as well as a deprived land and people.  The droplets are also like tears.  It is the imagination that determines whether they spring from pain or joy.”
I am letting the artist soul transform my rainy-day outlook.  I want those transparent drops to water my dry heart.  Art Heals.


No comments:

Post a Comment