Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Art Heals: Not Drowning Yet

It rained all day yesterday, so no 5 pm walk, and yoga poses in the bedroom don’t help much as the only one I am really good at is that one where you lie flat on your back with arms outstretched.
So of course, I started to think about drowning. In the metaphysical sense, of course.
Many of us feel like we are drowning, in anxiety, in confinement, in boredom, in guilt, in too much time for reflection on all of this. Some of us may even be “drowning our sorrows,” though too much of that is not recommended. And we have to be careful not to drown in the sea of others’ expectations.
As Bob Dylan sang, "You better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone, 'cause the times they are a-changing."  Indeed, everything about the present times are mutating like the virus that holds us in thrall.  But I am not drowning yet. I am daily searching for the buoy that will keep me afloat.  Now is the time to put on your water wings and swim in pools of laughter and friendship and love

 I found a great sketch by Adnan Charara, made around 2014, I think, that I hope will have you drowning in chuckles, or irony. Art Heals.

No comments:

Post a Comment