Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Art Heals: Hands


As I was washing my hands for the umpteenth time yesterday, unsuccessfully substituting yet another song for the ubiquitous Happy Birthday  (speakers of foreign languages,  please tell me what song you use for that 20 seconds) I thought about how suddenly our hands have taken center stage in our lives these last few months.
Yes, they have always been there, hanging off the ends of my arms, serviceable but not, in my case, particularly glamorous. (I am usually on a ladder applying spackle to nail holes in my gallery walls with my index finger—the only paint my nails receive comes out of a can from Home Depot. Not for me the 2-inch talons bedecked with sequins—how do people type with those? I barely have the dexterity to slide out my credit card from its hidey hole in my wallet.)

So of course, I started thinking about Peche-Merle, France in 20,000 BC.  (As would you, I’ll bet.)

In Peche-Merle, a cave painting of horses, circa 20,000 BC is silhouetted with human hands, which scholars believe may have been painted by a shaman to induce magic within the hunting culture. Also, in Catal Huyuk, Turkey, excavations have revealed frescoed walls with rows of hands from 7,000 BC. 
Similar prehistoric hand imagery has been found painted on rocks in Wadi Sera, Libya and in the Dumboshawa region of Zimbabwe. In the Punic era (from 250 BC) Carthaginian funeral stele incorporated carved stone hands as symbols of divinity. In addition, cave paintings and carvings of hands have been found in Algeria dating from 3,000 BC. 
Every culture seems to have elevated the hand, Pre-Columbian, Toltec, Ancient Egyptian, Phoenician, Roman, Nubian, Berber, and Arab as well as Christian and Jewish.  The hand appears both as talisman and symbol.  It is named, revered, feared, its power protective and mysterious.  Did you know that the wearing of wedding rings links the hand to the heart by the third finger of the right hand, the veins of which are said to connect directly to the heart?
Our own hands carry that power now.  While the rite of the King’s Touch, the laying on of hands to cure disease, persisted in the English monarchy into the 18th century and in the French until the 19th, healers, religious and secular all over the world, practice it,  literally and figuratively, today.
We have the healing hands of doctors and nurses, the hands of cooks and delivery persons, of postal workers and firefighters and all who touch the things that bring us nourishment and entertainment and solace and even life.  And really, our future is literally in our own hands, chapped from the soap, tired from the daily tasks, hungry for the touch of a handshake but communicating by the touch of a screen or keyboard.   Wash them (please, I really need a new song) rest them, use them to create comfort and change and to win the fight against this pandemic.  Touch hearts.                               The power is in your hands. 
Photographer Najib Joe Hakim’s hands created this powerful art moment.  Art Heals.


No comments:

Post a Comment