Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Art Heals: Quantum Physics

Recently I found myself with a little extra time on my hands.  It seems that housecleaning, blogging, Facebooking, Zooming, cooking, walking, Netflixing and creating new verbs do not fully fill the endless “today” that ceaselessly appears on my calendar.
So, I made a choice—learn Serbo-Croatian or think about quantum physics.  Obviously, I chose the easier one.
Actually, QP or QM (quantum mechanics) as those of us in the field like to call it, has a lot of relevance to our present situation of quarantining.   Both begin with a Q.
Aside from that, QP deals with mathematical abstractions that exist, but that no one has seen. (Such as all that stuff that I stored in the “cloud.”)
But these abstractions, known as waves in the quantum world, have very real effects in our world.  Except that no one can agree on what these effects are— they can only predict probabilities.  Tucked in there somewhere is something called the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.  I am uncertain what this is, (which probably means that I understand it perfectly), but the principle of the principle is that you can only know some things with certainty, but not all things.  I know with certainty that I will be staying at home, but I certainly have no idea how long that will be.
But for me, the most important thing I  have learned in this in-depth study, is the Observer Theory.  This theory posits that the mere observation of a phenomenon inevitably changes that phenomenon.  Quoting the texts, “the relational interpretation allows that different observers can give different accounts of the same series of events, depending on the information they have about the system.” 
This describes my whole life.  The other observer in this apartment opens the refrigerator and posits that we have no mayonnaise, based upon the information gleaned from a glance. I observe that there is a large jar of mayonnaise located on the top shelf behind the butter, based on the information gleaned from moving the butter.  Voila, quantum physics.
But the idea that by observing something, we can change that something, presents a powerful tool in coping with our present circumstances.  Observe your reaction to a disturbing news report.  Is it a wave of anxiety?  Or could your observation follow the QP principle of Superposition, in which things can be in two places at once.  Could you feel anxiety and empathy at the same time? Anxiety and determination?  Anxiety and hope?
Observe yourself. Be mindful.  You cannot change the circumstances, but you can change yourself.  It increases the probability of happiness in these troubled times.
I can think of no better painting to illustrate the behavior of energy than this delightful one by Adnan Charara, a composition of the joy of chaos!  Art Heals.


No comments:

Post a Comment