Monday, June 8, 2020

Art Heals: Rhythm


My companion in isolation listens to a lot of jazz.  I like it too, but I have never been able to listen to music while I am working,or reading.  Or walking, or on the metro, or the treadmill. (Ok, I don’t really have a treadmill, but I wouldn’t listen if I were on one.) Listening to music, for me, is an activity that requires my full concentration.  I need to be still and be open.
 I am not naturally musical. Piano lessons on a neighbor’s piano when I was about 9 was a dismal failure (exacerbated by a classically trained Russian teacher, whose methods of correction involved a ruler and my fingers). I tried teaching myself guitar in the 60s, but despite my long hair and granny glasses, flower power just wasn’t working for me.  Many years later, I was given a keyboard so that I could accompany my husband, who plays the saxophone, on Christmas carols during imaginary festivities in our home.  The teacher (really nice and patient) quit after four lessons.  Back to silent nights that year. Never sang in the school choir. Can’t dance.  The verdict: ain’t got no rhythm.   But despite all that, I do enjoy music all kinds (stuck in a wheelchair for  a year due to a freak accident, I read translated librettos while listening to operas on tape, and learned to love opera).   And while I couldn’t produce rhythm,  I never felt that I couldn’t appreciate it.   Enlightenment came when I discovered two things.  The first was a book, “What to Listen for in Music,” by Aaron Copeland that gave me a great deal of insight into the principles and nuances that work like an alphabet to unlock the melodic mysteries that I thought only those with “the ear” could discern.  The second thing changed everything for me.   I discovered notan.   Notan is a Japanese word that means light-dark harmony.  All my life I have been a visually oriented person, but I could never reconcile that with my lack of musical comprehension.  I loved the look of musical notation on paper, but I could never learn to read the notes, to translate the visual into the aural.  Yet when I studied art, I found I could instinctively comprehend rhythm in the brushstrokes on a painting, or the sweeping lines of a sculpture.   An artwork is a composition, just as is a piece of music.  The rhythm in a painting comes from its balance of light and dark elements, the underlying shapes that structure the piece, whether realist or abstract, a foundation for the details of color and texture that follow.  When there is a balance, another Japanese term comes into play, ma, the “space in between.”  There must be emptiness to create a space for fullness to enter.  That push-pull between the seen and the unseen provides the rhythmic energy of great art.
I love the fact that looking art can set my inner swing in motion.  And how that cadence can help me get through the emptiness of many of my recent days.  We already have the downbeat, let’s find the upbeat, any way we can.
This rhythmic painting is “My Country,” by Australian Aboriginal artist Tarisse King, who traces the tracks and rivers where her ancestors once walked. Art Heals.


No comments:

Post a Comment