Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Art Heals: Deep Sea Diving

Many years ago, I found myself on a rice barge in the Chao Phraya river in Thailand, watching a diver suit up.  He was about to enter the somewhat turgid waters to search for ancient Chinese porcelain supposedly left in the hull of a sunken ship. (While the pottery was indeed Chinese, it was neither ancient nor porcelain, but it was an outing on the river and that was enough for my enjoyment.)  As part of the atmospherics, the diver encased himself in an impressive 1830s-style diving suit featuring a copper helmet bolted to a canvas onesie, the latter attached to rubber boots.  Heavy gloves strapped to the suit completed the outfit. The diver then plunged vertically into the water, and we counted the surface bubbles as we awaited with bated breath (well, with snacks and fizzy drinks) his triumphant return, hoisting a blue and white pot in his upraised fist. Treasure!
So, the other day I had several errands to run.  At my advanced age, I take the quarantine seriously, so venturing out of my apartment requires some zealous loin girding.  I started to suit up.  Pants, long sleeves, outdoor-only shoes.  Wash hands. Don mask, carefully positioned to cover all facial orifices. Reposition my glasses so the mask fits under, not over, my eyes.  Reposition mask again to keep glasses from fogging up.  Don disposable gloves. Place second pair of disposable gloves in pocket, to wear in case first pair are contaminated.  Breathe deeply. Plunge vertically (6th floor elevator) into the waters of the outside world to hunt for treasure (yes, of course, Pringles). 
I’ve always had a lively imagination, but the corona chaos has turned me into a royal thespian (read: drama queen).  Information overload has severely affected my discernment gene.  Risk assessment, fact vs. fiction, reality vs. exaggeration; I can no longer tell, so I err on the side of over-caution.  My deep dive into the waters of commerce is giving me the bends.  I think many of us are suffering from this decompression sickness.  The pressures of lockdowns have built up over these months, and we long for release.  Surfacing too quickly can lead to fatigue, dizziness, confusion, serious illness.  But surface we must.  I need to slow down, conquer fear with facts, and emerge gradually from the waters of Babylon.
I didn’t have to dive for these fish. Contemporary art in Australia. Art Heals.

No comments:

Post a Comment