Thursday, June 11, 2020

Art Heals: Let's Dance


Perhaps the first archeological proof of dance comes from 9,000-year-old cave paintings in India, or the dancing figures depicted in ancient Egyptian tombs.  Historians believe that celebratory and ritual dances are essential to the development of early human civilizations. 
Why am I talking about this?  Well, yesterday the weather precluded my taking my daily walk and my body and my mind reacted in an uncivilized way.  I was achy and grumpy and certainly not civil. My body was telling me, “move, girl.”  Then I came upon some news footage of people dancing as part of a protest near the White House.  This made me think about the words movements and movement.   To move is to change position, physically.  To move someone is to stir their emotions, to persuade.  To move is to take a stand: “I move that the Board ratify these changes.”  “The motion passes five to four.”   To move is to keep pace: to move with the times. Moving up.  Moving on. Moving forward. The women’s movement. The civil rights movement. The anti-war movement.   A movement can be a piece of music, a pattern of dance steps.  Which brings me back to those dancers at the protest.  Rather than being antithetical to their purposes, their dancing was a natural consequence of their demands.  The urgent call for movement demanded movement.  And the long pent-up feelings of the protestors, the adrenalin rush of rage at injustice, combined with the joy of solidarity and the hope for change found its natural expression in that dancing.
Gotta move.  Back to the historians.  Researchers think that as early humans needed to cooperate with each other to survive, dance may have been a kind of social interaction that established that cooperation.  (Weird fact: in a study of some of the world’s best dancers, researchers found they shared two specific genes that are thought to predispose people to be good social communicators.)   But what of us two-left-feeters (meaning me)?  You already know about my rhythm deficiency anemia.  Here’s proof.  Many years ago, while we lived in Holland, my companion in isolation and I decided to take dancing lessons, having grown up in the era when shaking what our mamas gave us did not require moving our feet in any perceivable pattern.  Problems arose in that only one of us spoke Dutch (me) and one of us was supposed to lead (not me).  So the teacher spoke, I translated, we argued about the accuracy of my translation, and we danced, several crucial beats behind the music and everyone else.  Chaos.  Not good social communication.  But that is ancient history.
Now I see dance as movement, as an important component of feeling, of healing.  I don’t need to be an expert, just as I don’t need to be in a position of power or authority to effect change.  I just have to move.
Recently the New York Times featured an article about how music and dance are sources of healing in Ojibwe culture. I quote the author, Dr. Brenda Child, “Traditions of song and dance help restore the balance that is drained by bodily sickness and deliver spiritual sustenance to those who have lost loved ones. Art, in other words, allows us to survive.”
Art Heals.  Let’s dance.
This is Shinnecock Fancy Shawl Dancer, Tohanash Tarrant, Bruce’s Garden, New York City by photographer Phoebe Farris (Powhatan-Pamunkey)



No comments:

Post a Comment