Friday, May 1, 2020

Art Heals: May Day

Happy May Day.  Since it is raining where I am, I won’t be dancing around the maypole today (and for another reason unnecessary to bring up).  Many of us have thrown away our calendars (old people) or disabled calendar apps (young people) now that weeks have blurred into months of seeming sameness.  The only way we have to differentiate day from night is the passing from light to darkness, and on rainy days even this is iffy. 
So, I dug out my calendar from AD 1353 and voila, May Day popped up.
Those wild and crazy Brits, and the (mittel Europa manics) erected maypoles on that day to celebrate that the season of warmth and comfort had returned. As all you faithful PBS fans already know, the Black Death (coronavirus before the internet) ended in 1353.  So those guys had plenty of reasons to weave flower garlands and hang them from the nearest telegraph pole. (Oops, wrong calendar.) Maypoles were constructed to allow short people to take a gander (google before the internet) at the floral tributes dangling from the poles.  Just standing there gandering turned out not to be much fun, so someone had the bright idea to hang ribbons from the pole, bedeck cute girls with garland crowns, and encourage them to grab a ribbon and get dizzy. 
Enough history.  In our present predicament, we all need a way to mark the passage of time, if only to shore up our sense of accomplishment in getting this far without totally losing our minds.  I wish it was sunny and bright, so that I could thank those April showers for letting me steal some May flowers from the street-side beds in front of my building.  But as always, art comes to my rescue.  Happy May Day, with a floral tribute by Amr Mounib.  Art Heals.

No comments:

Post a Comment